Stevara Clark Johnson
Assistant professor in teaching
Phone: (804) 828-0732
M.S.W., Virginia Commonwealth University
B.S.W., Virginia Commonwealth University
Stevara Clark Johnson, assistant professor in teaching, serves as a faculty field liaison between the School of Social Work Office of Field Education, community agencies, and students in the Distance Education M.S.W. program. Within this role, Johnson enjoys getting to know the communities and agencies that provide field placements for students; evaluating student development and mastery of CSWE competencies; and using technology to enhance relationship building and engage students in the implicit curriculum. Johnson brings clinical and macro practice, curriculum development, program analysis and evaluation, and teaching experience with a personal emphasis on and dedication to working with first-generation college students and at-risk youth.
Prior to this current faculty role, Johnson was an inaugural student success advisor for the VCU School of Social Work Office of Student Success. While in this role, she revised and revamped New Student Orientation overviews and advising; advocated for curriculum changes and course offerings; and provided direct support to B.S.W. students’ achievement of personal, professional, and educational goals. Johnson also has previous social work practice experience working with dislocated workers and adults experiencing homelessness; providing technical assistance with the designing of educational products; evaluating curriculum and training programs for effectiveness for youth in foster care; developing and delivering curriculum focused on social and independent living skills for students with intellectual disabilities.
Johnson’s areas of interest include: developing programming to engage non-traditional and at-risk students in implicit curricula; using technology effectively to build relationships, and contributing to the understanding of student success for first-generation minority college students. Johnson is the faculty advisor for the Association of Black Social Workers at VCU student chapter and a faculty mentor for the Multicultural Connections & Advisement Program with the VCU Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.
Notable awards, honors and appointments
- Member, National Association of Black Social Workers
- Technology Chair, Social Work Distance Education Field Consortium (Oct. 2016 - Oct. 2018)
- Presenter, Hindsight is 20/20: What We Wish We Had Known. Workshop presented to Distance Educators at the 2017 Social Work Distance Education Conference: San Antonio, TX.
- Presenter, A Holistic Advising Model: Fostering Student Success through Recruitment, Retention, and Release. Workshop presented to Academic Advisors at the 2016 National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) Region 2 Conference: Hyattsville, MD.
- Presenter, Want to Hangout?: Using Google+ Hangouts to Engage Non-Traditional
Transfer Students. Workshop presented to Academic Advisors at the 2015 Annual Virginia Drive-In Advising Conference: Norfolk, VA.
- Co-Chair, School of Social Work Staff Council (Jul. 2015 – Apr. 2016)
- Member, Fulbright Review Panel, National Scholarship Office (Aug. 2014 –present)
- Inductee, Phi Alpha Honor Society Nu Rho Chapter (2010)
- Rita Schleuter Memorial Scholarship, Virginia Commonwealth University (2008-2009)